Trauma & Post -Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime, whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster.
While many people may experience PTSD-like symptoms in the early days following trauma and will improve over time, others may discover effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, helplessness, confusion, and develop posttraumatic stress (PTSD) far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance, and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma.
If you are experiencing some of the symptoms listed below, you may have developed PTSD.
- Intrusive thoughts, disturbing memories of trauma, of nightmares, or flashbacks in which it feels as though the trauma is happening again
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Our Psychotherapists in Vaughan can help
Research has proven psychotherapy to be an effective form of treatment for trauma. At Psychotherpay Essence through evidence-based modalities, you will learn mindfulness, relaxation, and regulation tools that will help you to feel safe and secure in the present life. Once you regain stability, we can work on changing the way you process a traumatic experience, how your traumatic experience impacted your thoughts and beliefs about yourself, others, and the world. It will help you address issues you may be having since the trauma related to trust, safety, power/control, esteem, and intimacy.
If you or someone you know struggle with trauma related symptoms, we invite you to reach us, we are here to help!